Iron Arachne

The number of generators is growing and I'm evolving how I structure new ones. The first big change was when I moved a bunch of repeated code out into its own Go repository called utility. The next big change is a little more subtle. I'm starting to use dep to manage dependencies, which for the small projects means nothing, but for the bigger ones it's a significant shift.

Speaking of the bigger projects, worldgen is underway. It's the program that will wrap all of the others and produce an entire setting. I haven't worked on it in a few weeks, though, as my work on WriteFreely and Mysteries of a Broken World (which you can read about on the blog Accio Inspirante) and attendant concerns have taken up most of my time.

I don't foresee spending much time on Iron Arachne-specific projects during December because of this. When I come back to it in January, though, I will be focusing on worldgen.

So after learning of Write Freely, I decided to create this blog. It's a continuation of my efforts at Accio Inspirante, where I blog about things relevant to the OSR space.

My hope is that this new blog supports both the Write Freely project and the Old School Renaissance community.

I suspect that there will be some overlap between this and my personal website, but I'll try and keep that to a minimum. Software development posts on here will generally be only about programs and web apps that do procedural generation for tabletop role-playing games.

Some of the first few posts will be about the current state of Iron Arachne generator projects. There is a lot of work in progress right now. To keep it a little clear in my head, I'll probably do some stream-of-consciousness writing here about what I'm working on. One of the earliest candidates is the heraldry generator, which I've been spending quite a bit of time on lately.

So yeah. That's what's coming. Look forward to it!